The Chairman welcomed 14 attendees to the meeting. Apologies for absence: Terry & Evelyne Webb, Brian Geer, Derek Fones, Georgina Arnold.
- Answers to Feb Newsletter quiz question: ‘Buddy’s Rock’ in 1977 with Lionel Hampton on vibes Norman Adams said that Buddy Rich plays the membranophone on the 1961 album ‘Blues Caravan’ - a very tasty album. Does any member have the album? If so, lease bring it to our next meeting.
- VG - Saturday Night Geoffrey Smith’s Jazz - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002rvb – all about stop-time jazz – worth a listen on BBC3 Sounds.
- 4 Jazzwise magazines are available for borrowing but PLEASE return them!!
1. ‘ Hotch Potch‘ Introduced by Keith Brown
- ‘Love For Sale’ Benny Carter & His Orch from 1945 album ‘Echoes of Harlem Big Bands’ 2.58
- 'Shoot The Likker To Me, John Boy' Artie Shaw from album ‘Traffic Jam’ 1938 2.52
- ‘Love Nest’ Chet Baker from 1957 album ‘Quartet - Russ Freeman/Chet Baker’ Pacific Jazz rec’d Los Angeles Nov 6 1956 – Russ Freeman Freeman (pno); Leroy Vinnegar (b); Shelly Manne (drs) 4.18
- ‘Moanin’’ Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers from the 1958 album of the same name (shortened version of 9.02 mins track) Bobby Timmons (pno); Lee Morgan (tpt); Bennt Golson (tnr); Jymie Merritt (b) 4.03
- ‘I’ve Found A New Baby’ Brian Lemon/Roy Williams Quintet with Scott Hamilton (tnr); Dave Cliff (gtr); Dave Green (b); Allan Ganley (drs) from 1996 album ‘How Long Has This Been Going On?’ 4.45
- 'The Song Is You' Skelton Skinner All-stars Big Band from the 2011 album ‘Cookin’ With The Lid On’ 2.54
- ‘Hay Burner’ SUBB Swing Unlimited Big Band from 2012 album ‘Lonely Street’ arr by Sammy Nestico; Peter Williams (Musical Director) 3.56
- ‘Cute’ Count Basie Orch from 1958 album ‘Basie Plays Hefti’- Sonny Payne (drs); Eddie Jones (drs) 3.10
- 'Love For Sale' Buddy Rich Orch from 1967 album ‘Big Swing Face’ - Ernie Watts (alt); Bobby Shew (tpt) 4.30
2 ‘The Best Of British‘ Introduced by Derek Gould
- ‘Parisian Thoroughfare’ Tubby Hayes Big Band from 1964 album ‘Tubbs Tours’ Allan Ganley (drs); Ferddy Logan )b); Jimmy Deucher (tpt); Terry Shannon (pno); Ronnie Ross (brn) 3.12
- ‘In The Zone’ Dave O’Higgins Quintet from 2007 album of same name Dave O'Higgins (tnr & sop), Martin Shaw (tpt), Tom Cawley (piano), Sam Burgess (bass) and Sebastiaan de Krom (drums) 5.45
- ‘Sloppy Joe’ (written by Neal Hefti) Ted Heath Orch from 1953 78rpm single with ‘Dragnet on ‘A’ side 2.57
- ‘Hey There You Hosers’ Bill Paul Edis Sextet Trio Big from NYC 1958 Giants of Jazz compilation album ‘Autumn Leaves’ - Sam Jones (b); Philly Jo Jones (drs) 3.21
- ‘Pick Yourself Up’ Laurie Johnson Orch First Appeared on album ‘The Music Of Laurie Johnson Volume 1: The Avengers’ 5.09
- ‘Lisa ’ Victor Feldman Quartet from 1961 Riverside album ‘Merry Olde Soul’ – Sam Jones (b) Louis Hayes (drs); Hank Jones (pno) 5.16
- ‘After The Party’ Johnny Dankworth Orch from 1960 album ‘Soundtrack Music From 'The Criminal' - Pete King (alto); George Tynedale (bar); Spike Heatley (b); Kenny Clare (drs); Dudley Moore (pno); Art Ellefson & Danny Moss (tnr); Eddie Harvey (tbn); Dickie Hawdon, Kenny Wheeler (tpts); Ron Snyder (tuba) 3.35
- ‘Bandbox’ Basil Kirchin Big Band from 1955 Parlophone vinyl 7” 3.02
Our thanks go to members for serving refreshments during the break
3 ‘Mosaic Magic – tracks from the Mosaic Record label‘ Introduced by John Savage
- ‘Roll ‘Em’ Shirley Scott (organ) from 1966 album ‘Shirley Scott Plays The Big Bands’ arr & cond by Oliver Nelson; Grady Tate (drs); George DuVivier (b) 4.09
- ‘For Lena & Lennie’ Quincy Jones from 1962 album ‘The Quintessence’; George Catlett (b); Stu Martin (drs); Bobby Scott (pno); Clark Terry & Clyde Reasinger (tpt) 4.17
- ‘Flute Salad’ Oliver Nelson from 1966 album ‘Sound Pieces’ Ray Brown (b); Shelley Manne (drs); Mike Melvoin (pno); Bill Perkins, Jack Nimitz (saxes) Oliver Nelson (sop) 3.25
- ‘Cousins’ Frank Woody Herman from album ‘Woody Herman: 1964’ with Jake Hanna (drs); Nat Pierce (pno); Sal Nistico (tnr); Chuck Andrus (b) 5.45
- ‘Linger Awhile’ Al Cohn from 1955 album ‘The Jazz Workshop - Four Brass One Tenor’ Nick Travis (tpt & v tbn); Dick Katz (p); Freddie Green (gtr); Joe Newman (tpt); Osie Johnson (drs); Buddy Jones (b) 3.24
- ‘Tickle Toe’ Quincy Jones from 1960 album ‘Free and Easy – Live In Sweden’ Benny Bailey & Clark Terry (tpts); Buddy Catlett (b); Joe Catlett (drs); Budd Johnson (tnr); Jimmy Cleveland (tbn) 3.16
- ‘Stolen Sweets’ Stanley Turrentine from 1961 album ‘The Blue Note Quintet/Sextet Sessions’ 3.03
- ‘Walk Right In’ Jimmy Smith with Oliver Nelson Orch from album ‘The Argo, Verve, And Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions [Disc 5] 3.29
PLEASE REMEMBER – Our next meeting is on April 10 and is both the Club AGM AND a ‘You’re On!” session (bring your own CD). *** I’m issuing a challenge to members – can you find an interesting/exciting track that also includes either ‘stop-time or ‘double-time’? Obviously, it’s not compulsory but I’ll give a small prize to what I think is the best.
And finally …….. have you heard this one?
Have you heard about the chap who was so dim his teacher gave him two sticks and he became a drummer but then he lost one and became a conductor. and a quiz question:
Q: What was the last album Freddie Green appeared on? He died a week after recording it..
The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.45 wishing everyone A Safe Journey Home.
Vic Grayson 01202 882867 email: firstname.lastname@example.org et