The Chairman welcomed 21 attendees to the meeting. Apologies for absence: None received
- Answers to June Newsletter quiz question: Q: Which jazz trumpeter (1932 – 2013) has two middle names -’ Toussaint L'Ouverture’? A: Trumpeter Donald Byrd – real name - Donaldson Toussaint L'Ouverture Byrd II
- Try our new website – it’s up and running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.bournemouthjazzclub.org/
- Members may like to know about http://www.bournemouthbluebirdjazz.uk/ “The club meets from 7:30 pm - 10 pm on Mondays at the Bluebird Social Club, 4 Ham Lane, Longham, BH22 9DP, Tel: 01202 570311 (opposite Haskins garden centre). There is ample car parking, a large dance floor and a bar with drinks at affordable prices. Each month we feature one national band and one local band. Admission on the door is £10 for members and £12 for visitors.
- FYI – Tubby Hayes Quartet - ‘Grits, Beans & Greens’ -The Lost Fontana Studio Sessions 1969 with Mick Pyne (pno); Ron Matthewson (b); Spike Wells (drs). See p24 of July edition of Jazzwise
- Advance notice - from Freda - In the Tivoli regular emails have just received one giving advance notice of a concert by the Syd Lawrence Orch. on Thurs. 27th Feb. next year.
- Keith Brown reminded members that the Swanage Jazz Festival in on this weekend 13 – 14 July https://swanagejazzfestival.com/
‘You’re On!‘ A selection of favourite CD tracks - Introduced by members
- Vic Grayson: ‘The Opener’ Al Cohn – Zoot Sims Quintet from 1960 album ‘You ‘N Me’ - Major Holley (bass); Osie Johnson (drs); Mose Allison (pno); Al Cohn & Zoot Sims (tnr) 4.04
- Phil Lewis: ‘Stolen Moments’ Ahmad Jamal Trio from 1970 album ‘The Awakening’- Jamil Nasser (b); Frank Gant (drs) 6.27
- Reg Valentine: ‘Don’t Get Around Much Any More’ Warren Vache/Tony Coe//Alan Barnes Septet from 1997 album ‘Shine’ - Brian Lemon (pno); Dave Green (bass); Clark Tracey (drs); Dave Cliff (gtr) 6.01
- Tony Eveleigh: ‘Dre’w Blues’ Jackie McLean from 1961 Blue Note album ‘Bluesnik’ - Kenny Drew (pno); Freddie Hubbard (tpt); Doug Watkins (b); PeteLa Roca (drs) 5.51
- Georgina Arnold: ‘Softly As In A Morning Sunrise’ Chris Walker Swingtet from album ‘Fine and Dandy’ rec’d in Poole 10/11 Aug 2004. Greg Painter (pno); John Burgess (b); Les Brown (gtr); Haydn McCarthy (drs) 4.33
- John Savage: ‘Caza De Luz’ Shorty Rogers , Bud Shank & The Lighthouse All Starsfrom 1991 album ‘America The Beautiful’ – Conte Candoli (tpt); Lawrence Marable (drs); Monty Budwig (s); Bill Perkins (reeds); Bob Cooper (tnr); Pete Jolly (p) 3.21
- John Davies: ‘Swingin’ Shepherd Blues’ from album - Ray Anthony & His Orch from 1965 album ‘Back To The 40s’ 3.20
- Derek Fones: ‘Intermission Riff’ Stan Kenton Orchestra from 1956 album ‘Kenton In Hi-Fi’ - Vido Musso (tnr); Peter Candoli (tpt) 6.05
- Freda Smith: ‘Without A Song’’ Sonny Rollins from 1962 album ‘The Bridge’ – Jim Hall (gtr); Ben Riley (drs); Bob Cranshaw (bass) 5.42 BOURNEMOUTH BIG BAND, SWING & JAZZ CLUB Newsletter
- John Cooper: ‘The Music Goes Round & Round’ Clare Teal from 2004 album ‘Don’t Talk’ - Enrico Tomaso & Mark Armstrong (tpts); Alan Barnes (sax); Simon Walker (p); Mike Outram (gtr); Dave Whitford (b) 5.24
- Phil Washington: ‘Moten Swing’ Billy Butterfield from album ‘The Issued Recordings 1944 – 1947’ - Johnny Guanieri (p); Carl Kressw (gtr); Bob Haggart (b); Johnnt Blowers (drs) 4.15
- Richard Cargill: ‘One Note Samba/Spanish Flea’ Sergio Mendes & Brasil ‘66 from A&M album produced by Herb Alpert 2.46
- Brian Geer: ‘Just Goofin’’ Tony Kinsey Quintet from 1957 album ‘Jazz At The Flamingo Session’ - Joe Harriott (alto); Bob Efford (tnr); Bill Le sage (p); Pete Blannin (b) 8.28
Our thanks go to members for serving refreshments during the break
- Maurice Barnett: ‘Borsalino’ Claude Bolling Big Band from 1996 album Cinemadreams’ - Guy Bodet (tpt); Jean-Paul Charlap (gtr); Vincent Cordelette (drs); Pierre-Yves Sorin (b) 4.06
- Keith Brown: ‘I Like To Recognise The Tune’ Mel Torme with Marty Paich Dek-tette from 1956 Bethlehem NY album of same name – Bud Shank (alto); Red Mitchell (b); Mel Lewis (drs); Bob Cooper & Jack Montrose (tnr); Bob Enevoldsen )tbn); Pete Candoli (tpt) 3.16
- Derek Gould: ‘Kindred Spirits’ Bill Watrous (tbn), Pete Christlieb (tnr), & The Gary Urwin Jazz Orchestra from 2003 album ‘Kindred Spirits’ - Gary Urwin (arr) 5.29
- Bill Shaw: ‘Big John Special’ Benny Goodman featuring Harry James from 1937 Victor 10” shellac – Teddy Wilson )p); Dave Tough (drs) 2.34
- Vic Grayson: ‘Stompin At The Savoy’ Art Farmer/Jim Hall Quartet from 1964 album ‘Live At The Half-Note’ Steve Swallow (b); Walter Perkins (drs) 12.27 faded
- ‘Unison Riff ’ Stan Kenton Orch (see 9 above) Don Bagley (b); Ralph Blaze (gtr); Mel Lewis (drs) 3.11
PLEASE REMEMBER – Our next meeting is a new and ‘Special’ one on Weds 14 August when Chris Walker will be giving us 2 audio-visual presentations – one on Duke Ellington and the other on Hoagy Carmichael. Please bring a guest or two. There will be an extra £1 charged to cover the speaker expenses,
And finally, continuing the ‘pseudonyms’ theme …….. did you know?
On the RCA 1965 album ‘The Brothers’ by Cohn/Perkins/Kamuca, the guitarist Jimmy Raney was billed as ‘Sam Beethoven’.
or, a quiz question:
Q: Who described Duke Ellington’s music as “"tea dansant music" with no jazz content whatever”?
A: The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.45 wishing everyone A Safe Journey Home.
Vic Grayson 01202 882867 email: email@example.com